Dear all (apologies for cross-posting - I wanted to reach as many as possible):

As you may know, the APA has been going through some important and positive changes.  I have just returned from the November Board of Officers meeting and believe there is tremendous good will for improving the situation for women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups in the profession.

However, one major roadblock is that the APA is still barely breaking even financially (which is better than it was before!).  We need a strong National Office in order to make positive change, but a strong National Office that is positioned to take action costs money.

I realize that in the recent past many have stopped renewing their membership to the APA (or have never become members at all).  This is totally understandable.  I urge you, however, to become a member (or renew) at this crucial time.  Your membership may be tax deductible, and in some schools you can be reimbursed for the cost.  Here is the membership link:
http://www.apaonline.org/general/register_start.asp

Even more to the point, the new APA website has an option that allows you to make donations to a fund for diversity and inclusiveness.
http://www.apaonline.org/donations/
So far, very few have taken advantage of this opportunity.  But this is where we can really make a difference.  Small (and large!) contributions add up. Donations will go to supporting proposals that the APA is not currently in a position to fund.  If you are an APA member, you will also soon be notified of a Request for Proposals from the APA to support substantial efforts to address these issues.

Please consider making a donation and, through your networks, urge others to do so as well.  You may not be positioned to organize a program that increases diversity and inclusiveness - few of us are! - but let us together support those who can make a difference to our profession.

Thanks, in advance,
Sally
President, Eastern APA