I also am pondering the way that as someone mentioned affirmative action is
being misinterpreted--as if opposed to merit.
It's a powerful merit-based approach to breaking down *non-merit* based
male and white dominance in departments.  why isn't that obvious? it's
still not obvious to the main/malestream that dominance for white-male
hierarchies is non-merit-based, imagine!