Greetings of Peace,

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 will mark the 80th birthday anniversary of Audre
Lorde, the self defined Black Lesbian Feminist Mother Warrior Poet. In her
short lifetime in the physical form, Sister Lorde published ten volumes of
poetry and five works of prose, including Zami: A New Spelling of My Name;
The Cancer Journals, A Burst of Light, Sister Outsider, Our Dead Behind Us,
From a Land Where Other People Live, Cables to Rage, Uses of the Erotic:
The Erotic as Power, and The Marvelous Arithmetics Of Distance. She is
credited with co-founding, with Barbara Smith, Kitchen Table: Women of
Color Press, the first U.S. publisher by, for, and about women of color. In
her lifetime, Sister Lorde was a recipient of many distinguished honors and
awards, including being named the New York State Poet Laureate from
1991-1993. Towards the very end of her life, she was given and fully
embraced the African name Gamba Adisa, which means "Warrior: She Who Makes
Her Meaning Clear." She died on November 19, 1992, after a 14-year battle
with breast cancer, which metastasized to her liver.

She is recognized as one of the most important radical Black feminists of
the past half century by Drs. Beverly Guy-Sheftall, Johnnetta Betsch Cole,
and the late Rudolph P. Byrd in their edited volume I Am Your Sister:
Collected and Unpublished Writings of Audre Lorde.

On February 18, 2014, The Feminist Wire <http://TheFeministWire.com> will
take a bold step by launching a global (US, Europe, and the Caribbean)
two-week online forum to celebrate Sister Lorde's life and living legacy,
which continuously touches hundreds of thousands of people around the
world. We will feature critical essays, personal reflections, poetry, love
notes, and videos by a wide range of diverse people spanning age, race,
gender, ethnicity, gender identity, spirituality, sexual orientation,
national origin. Some of them knew her personally and others only recently
encountered her through her written and spoken words...

They contributors include, but are not limited to - Cheryl Clarke, Jewelle
Gomez, Michelle Parkerson, Dagmar Schultz, Nancy Bereano, asha bandele,
Alexis Pauline Gumbs, Opal Moore, Thomas Glave, Robert Reid-Pharr, J. Bob
Alotta, The Audre Lorde Project, Cheryl Boyce Davies, A collective of Black
German women ~ Marion Kraft (Lorde's German Translator), Ria Cheatom, Ika
Huegel-Marshall, Cassandra Ellerbe-Dueck~, students from my graduate and
undergraduate Audre Lorde: The Life and Work of A Silence Breaker seminar
at Temple University, students from Spelman College's Audre Lorde Archival
seminar, Melinda Goodman, Lester Olson, Lyndon K. Gill, Darnell L. Moore,
Valerie Bridgeman, Johnnetta Betsch Cole and Beverly Guy-Sheftall, and many
more.

TFW will also feature two intimate video interviewers with Lorde's
daughter, Elizabeth Lorde Rollins, M.D. (February 21, 2014) and her partner
in the latter years of her life, Gloria I Jospeh, Ph.D. (February 28, 2014)
in our "Feminists We
Love<http://thefeministwire.com/category/feminists-we-love/>"
column.

We hope you will join The Feminist Wire over the next two weeks during our
amazing Lordean journey. http://thefeministwire.com

In Honor of Audre Lorde's Living Legacy!
Aishah
Organizer and Lead Editor, TFW's Audre Lorde Forum
#TFWPraisesTheLorde

--
*Aishah Shahidah Simmons*
*O'Brien Distinguished Guest Professor*, Scripps
College<http://media.scrippscollege.edu/feature-stories/aishah-shahidah-simmons>
(2014
Spring Semester)<http://media.scrippscollege.edu/feature-stories/aishah-shahidah-simmons>
*Adjunct Faculty, *Women's Studies Program, Temple
University<http://www.temple.edu/womenstu/about/index.htm>
* Producer/Writer/Director*, NO! The Rape Documentary
<http://NOtheRapeDocumentary.org>
*YouTube*, AfroLez Channel <http://youtube.com/afrolez>
*Editorial Collective*, The Feminist Wire <http://thefeministwire.com>
*Social Media* LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/aishah-shahidah-simmons/5/255/751/>|
Facebook <http://facebook.com/AfroLezCulturalWorker> |
AfroLez<http://afrolez.tumblr.com/>(R)femcentric
Perspectives <http://afrolez.tumblr.com> | AfroLez
Twitter<http://twitter.com/afrolez>|
Liberation from Within <http://liberationfromwithin.tumblr.com> |
InnerLiberationTwitter <http://twitter.com/innerliberation>

 "The revolution begins with the self, in the self." - Toni Cade
Bambara<http://voices.cla.umn.edu/artistpages/bambaraToni.php>

"Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

<http://voices.cla.umn.edu/artistpages/bambaraToni.php>