Dear all:

Please find attached here and copied below our CFP for the University of
Alberta Philosophy Graduate & Post-Graduate Conference: "Intelligibility"
which will take place on May 9-11, 2014.

We have extended our submission deadline to *March 7, 2014. *

I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass this along to your graduate
students and post-graduates who might be interested.

Kind regards,
Yasemin Sari

*Call for Papers: *

*Intelligibility*

University of Alberta Philosophy Graduate and Post-Graduate Conference

May 9-11, 2014

Edmonton, Alberta

We invite submission of papers by graduate students and postgraduates (who
have been awarded their PhD no earlier than 2008) to the graduate and
post-graduate philosophy conference to be held on May 9-11, 2014 at the
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.

For something to be intelligible is for it to make sense or be afforded an
explanation within a certain conceptual framework. Whether something is
intelligible then seems both relative and intrinsic to the broader
perspective from which we approach it. This makes the notion itself
transparent to philosophical reflection. The aim of this conference is to
bring intelligibility to the foreground, so that we can examine its nature
and role within different discourses.

Papers from both the analytic and continental traditions, as well as from
other disciplines and traditions of investigation are welcomed. We
especially encourage submissions from women and other groups historically
underrepresented in the profession. Possible questions for consideration
include, but are not limited to: What are the criteria for intelligibility?
Can intelligibility work as an explicit criterion in explaining our
relationship to ourselves, others and the world? What makes scientific or
philosophical explanations intelligible? What is the role that language
plays in considerations of intelligibility? What is the relationship
between intelligibility and rationality? What is the relationship between
intelligibility and cognitive significance? Does or should intelligibility
play a formative role in moral or aesthetic deliberation? Does the very
notion of intelligibility hinge on a dubious notion of privileged access?
If so, what are the dangers (ethical, political, social) of employing this
notion?

Keynote Presentation:

Intelligibility and Ineffability

*Dr. Graham Priest *

CUNY & Arché: Philosophical Research Centre, St. Andrews

Deadline for submission: *March 7, 2014*

Submission Guidelines: Papers should not exceed 3000 words. They should be
prepared for blind review and sent as a PDF file to
[log in to unmask] In a separate PDF attachment, please include
your name, academic affiliation, e-mail address, paper title, and an
abstract of no more than 150 words.

For more information, please contact us at [log in to unmask]

We would like to thank the following organizations for their generous
support: the University of Alberta Faculty of Arts, Canadian Journal of
Philosophy, and the Departments of Philosophy, and Psychology at the
University of Alberta.