I also am pondering the way that as someone mentioned affirmative action is being misinterpreted--as if opposed to merit.
It's a powerful merit-based approach to breaking down *non-merit* based male and white dominance in departments.  why isn't that obvious? it's still not obvious to the main/malestream that dominance for white-male hierarchies is non-merit-based, imagine!

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM, kathy miriam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: kathy miriam <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: affirmative action in hiring decisions
To: Mecke Nagel <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks Mecke. This is incredibly helpful.  To me it seems an insight is emerging on this list (or maybe this is not a new insight for many--it seems obvious now that i think about it) into  another tacit rather than explicit level of misogyny (or in other cases i'm sure racism)  in hiring practices.  It seems another old boy tactic (with token women believe me) --an insider, invisible way of cementing the status quo to tell a male (white) candidate that they lost job due to affirmative action--vile.

Kathy