From: "Potter,Nancy Lee Nyquist" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Feminist anti-essentialism
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:19:57 +0000

Greetings,

I am looking for some strong arguments against Aristotelian essentialism, especially as they might pertain to flourishing. I am writing in the area of mental disorder, and many writers are using a Aristotelian function/dysfunction argument to define mental disorder, which then sets up a univocal idea of human flourishing. So if anyone knows of literature I should be looking at, please send citations to me.

Thanks so much,

Nancy

Nancy Nyquist Potter, Professor

Department of Philosophy

Core Faculty, Interdisciplinary Masters Program in Bioethics and Medical Humanities

University of Louisville, KY

40292

Emanuela Bianchi