Dear FEASTers,

I realize it's a little counter-intuitive to send this job ad to FEAST, since it's for empirical research only and those doing philosophical and theoretical work need not apply; but there is strong interest in getting someone who does work in gender and sexuality, and particularly someone who works at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality (my department currently has several scholars working on "race" as an isolated category, and one on race and class, but none of my colleagues consider the intersection of race with gender and/or sexuality).  I myself also have an interest in hiring someone who works on disability.  We need as many strong applications in those areas as possible, since there are always forces in political science dragging us to the same old same old of party affiliation, ethnic conflict in the middle east, and war.  So I'm hoping that colleagues on this list might disseminate to other lists to which they might belong.  Thanks, Nancy

The Department of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania seeks to fill a tenure track position at the assistant professor level with a candidate doing empirical research on political identity.  We define political identity broadly, including (but not limited to) research on gender, sexuality, race, class, ethnicity, religion, as well as intersectional identities, undertaken through a variety of empirical approaches and methodologies, including historical-institutional, quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods. The field is open to those with concentrations in comparative politics, American politics, and international relations, as well as gender politics, race politics, and related fields such as political anthropology and political sociology.

The teaching load is three courses per year.  Applicants are expected to have a Ph.D. in hand by the time of the appointment and have a strong record of teaching and research. Applications from candidates already holding tenure track positions are also welcome. Responsibilities include conducting a program of research and publication, teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels (including supervising doctoral dissertations), and contributing service to the departments, schools and university.

Applications are to be submitted on-line at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/292  Submit a letter of application explaining research and teaching interests, curriculum vitae, teaching evaluations, publications or other writing samples, a graduate school transcript and contact information for at least three individuals who have agreed to provide a reference letter.  The University will contact the references with instructions on how to submit their letters.  Review of applications will begin October 1, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled.

The Department of Political Science is strongly committed to Penn's Action Plan for Faculty Diversity and Excellence and to creating a more diverse faculty (for more information  see: http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/volumes/v58/n02/diversityplan.html). The University of Pennsylvania is an EOE.  Minorities/Women/Individuals with disabilities/Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.

-

Nancy J. Hirschmann
Professor of Political Science
Director of the Program on Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies

Mailing Address:
Department of Political Science
Stiteler Hall
The University of Pennsylvania
208 S. 37th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215)898-7641
(215)573-2073 (fax)

For GSWS Business:
Program on Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies
411 Cohen Hall
The University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215)898-8740

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/polisci/people/standing-faculty/nancy-hirschmann

"Nothing serves as well as obscurity to make shallowness look profound"--Walter Kaufmann