Dear Peter King,
This is fabulous!  Now there are many examples of cohorts of Socrates and Russell who were female and widely known!! (known to whom? Their contemporaries? Scholars throughout history? Known to whom?)  Please tell!

And who were they?  I am not educated in the history of ideas well enough to think of anyone but Anscombe (I learned in graduate school, and it was meant to be a sobering caveat, not an objection to the eccentric extension of a discriminating practice) that Wittgenstein refused any other women in his classrooms).  Nobody else comes to mind.

But from your reply to Linda Bell apparently there were droves of famous women philosophers and any discrimination within the discipline is due to those today who gang up on males with unfair and partial accusations.

Please, share your knowledge!
Thanks,
Helen Lauer

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 3:32 PM, Peter King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Talking of confirming normative positions, is there any reason to suppose that mockery is confined to male philosophers (or to men more generally?).  Do Socrates, Russell, et al., stand out from all all their well-known female philosophical contemporaries who were nurturing, positive, gentle, and all the other qualities in the usual feminine stereotype (as opposed to the slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails of the horrid men)?  Or, perhaps, the mockery-free alternatives to whichever is the "narrow division of philosophical thought" that claims Socrates and Russell (a pretty broad narrow division one would have thought) could be cited?

In common with most people on the List, I suspect, I've seen mockery used constructively and destructively, in both ways by men and by women.  I don't know of a division of philosophical thought in which it's unknown, but I'm open to education on that.  Mockery can be useful, for example, when used to puncture... well, to puncture what needs puncturing.  I've been known to use it in that way myself.

Peter J. King

Messages to the list are archived at http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/philos-l.html and http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.region.europe.

Current posts are also available via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PhilosL

To sign off the list send a blank message to [log in to unmask]

Discussions should be moved to chora: enrol via
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/chora.html.