From: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 3:20:42 AM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
To: Digest recipients
Subject: [PhilUpdates] Digest for [log in to unmask] - 1 update in 1 topic

Megan Flocken <[log in to unmask]>: Oct 07 09:34PM -0400

DELIMITING LIMITS, 8th Annual University of South Florida Graduate Student
Conference, March 13-14, 2015
Visiting Keynote: Mark Wrathall
Faculty Keynote: Lee Braver

This conference explores various ways of delimiting limits, in relation to
being and thinking, to activities which bear on and engender experience,
knowledge, and expression.

We invite interpretations of and contributions to this topic from a variety
of perspectives. Avenues of thought which may be addressed include, but are
not limited to, the following:

- a Kantian metaphysical legacy and the noumenal limit;
- post-Kantian anti-metaphysical legacies and the existential limit to
transcendental philosophy;
- a theological limit to philosophical questioning, reason, and knowledge;
- the 'unthought' and the limits of what is thinkable (and how this relates
to thinking itself);
- limits of 'the public': the individual, self, and the private speaker and
addressee;
- limits of kinship and tradition: deterritorialization, defamiliarity, and
de-family (beyond the oedipus complex);
- polyamory, polymorphous perversity, and the limit(lessness) of desire;
- bodily limits: dis/ability and crip theories;
- post-nationality, anarchy and the limits of citizenship, rights,
sovereignty;
- the margins of philosophy (the canon and its self-perpetuating limits):
critical race theory, liberation theology, MEChA, feminisms;
- the strange, uncanny, monstrous;
- the sublime in art praxis and the limit of sense and representation;
- queerness and the limits of binary;
- 'the border' qua inter/national, identity, or micro-politics;
- liminal cases in ethics, the development of ethics at the limits of
morality;
- temporal limits: death, ecstasy, the conditional tense (futurity);
- law and legal limits of acceptable and appropriate behavior, the limits
of the norm especially in relation to social justice;
- psychopathology and the limits of dis-ease: what pathologizing reveals
about the human condition;
- intuition, discovery and the limits of scientific methodology;
- animality and the limits of humanness;
- ambiguity and the limits of self-ownership, ipseity, property;
- modal possibilities at the limits of propositional logic;
- analytic-continental divide and the limit of discipline

We welcome submissions of no longer than 3,000 words from graduate students
as well as advanced undergraduates. We especially encourage contributions
from underrepresented perspectives in philosophy for a special session
sponsored by Minorities and Philosophy (MAP). Please prepare submissions
for blind review, and include name, title, and institutional affiliation on
a cover page. Submissions and inquiries should be sent to:

Deadline for papers to be considered for the conference: January 4, 2015.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to [log in to unmask].