Dear FEASTies,

Through your wonderful generosity we exceeded our initial fundraising goal for the Philosophy in an Inclusive Key Summer Institute.  We are now less than $600 away from our second goal, which would allow us to fund three invited faculty to speak at the institute.

Here are my reasons for donating:  Last year my department interviewed many wonderful, brilliant candidates and we were lucky enough to hire two new colleagues.  Reviewing a diverse applicant pool, with lots of women candidates, makes a difference.  Being able to go to university administrators with a diverse list candidates for screening interviews makes a difference.  Bringing those candidates to campus and showing what philosophy is today - how it can be rigorous, challenging, engaging, and - yes, fun, makes a difference.  It makes a difference to how philosophy is perceived in the university.  It makes a difference to our students.  And, it makes a difference to me.  I know it makes a difference to you too.

Recently, several of you have joined us in starting new diversity initiatives.  It is wonderful to see that.  Together we will make philosophy reflect our diversity.  If PIKSI succeeds in obtaining external funding it will keep PIKSI afloat, and it will make room for those other initiatives to get funding from sources we once used.

So help us show that we can exceed expectations.  If you haven't donated yet, please do so today.  There are still some great books available as thank you gifts!  Even a $5 donation helps a lot.  It is like a vote to continue diversifying the profession because we can show the number of donors to external grant makers.

Here's the link:  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/piksi-2014-changing-the-face-of-philosophy

I thank you for your support of this project.

Barbara

Barbara Andrew, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Chair
Department of Philosophy