Helen,
No, I didn't think you were condoning mockery. I wasn't clear that I was agreeing with you. What you describe has certainly been my experience. My apologies.
Nancy

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 4, 2014, at 12:46 PM, helen lauer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Nancy,
Quite. If I gave the impression that I condone the way women in philosophy are routinely treated as a matter of course, certainly in my generation and with regularity since, my intention in posting my reply to Seth and Thomas was wholly defeated.
Sad.
Thanks for your reply, I couldn't agree with you more.  I wish that had been obvious.
Helen

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:20 AM, "Potter,Nancy Lee Nyquist" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear all,

I have a difficult time understanding why there should be a place for mockery in philosophical discussions/debates, for two reasons. First, the OED synonyms for mockery are ‘ridicule, derision, contempt, and scorn.’ In my view, those attitudes don’t have a place in constructive exploration and critique of ideas; they serve to put down and humiliate the communicator. The spirit of philosophical engagement, which is what I assume we are striving for,  is broken or at least damaged when the communicator’s ideas make her feel humiliated and scorned. But more importantly, the fact that we can find evidence of the use of mockery in philosophical debate is no defense of the moral appropriateness of it.

Respectfully,
Nancy

From: Feminist ethics and social theory [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of helen lauer
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 12:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Good conduct in philosophy: in defence of mockery

Dear Thomas, Seth,

I'm sorry I'm a little confused by all this anxiety about mockery.  With due respect--if I could find even ONE woman who hadn't been openly and blatantly mocked at least once in her training as a student or in her post-doctoral career in philosophy, I would be glad to offer a year's salary as a forfeit.

Helen Lauer
professor of philosophy
University of Ghana, Legon