Anne, I want to question this statement:

"I would enjoy seeing a professional paper on this, especially one that covers “mentoring,” “humor” and “getting it right”!  Indeed it could be a topic for Hypatia!  But, it could only be successfully accomplished, I believe, by those who have tenure, who have been on “both sides of the fence” as it occurs in many subtle and nuanced ways."

My thinking is that input from graduate students (and undergrads too) is necessary and even valuable, especially in light of the observation that mockery may flow downwards. At present, the discussion seems to be concerned with faculty mocking one another, a situation of near equals (and I am aware of the ways in which gender and race play into the dynamics of infra-faculty conversation), as opposed to faculty/graduate student relations or graduate student/graduate student relations.

I pose this question in light of the way in which mockery might contribute to the further marginalization of areas of thought and thinkers, as has been indicated by others in this thread. Imagine the effect that a faculty mocking a graduate student, particularly one focusing on an underrepresented space in philosophy, as they move forwards. Particularly if that student lacks an institutional support structure.

Further, the ways that graduate students duplicate the actions of the faculty can compound the effects of mockery especially if we take this to be a defacto practice in the field of philosophy. I am sure we all are aware of the conception of philosophy as an intellectual contact sport.

John Flowers

Sent from my iPhone