There are some negative terms that seem to be reserved for men, including
"dick" and "jerk," and couple of other words I won't write on a public
listserv.  But one cannot search for "bitch" because ratemyprofessor
screens it out.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Lisa Rivera <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You are entirely right about that Alison.
>
> I'm so curious to see what search terms people are using. Virtually every
> negative term I could think of was used much more frequently for women.
> Except for 'boring'--that's correlated more highly to men--but not by very
> much.
>
> 'Sarcastic' also correlates more highly to men. 'Unhappy' to women. I am
> going to have a hard time getting any work done today--this is too
> fascinating.
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think Ornaith is on the write track.
>>
>> To unpack this a bit, here's what I think may be happening: women are
>> supposed to be nurturing, caring, emotional (this is both used in their
>> favor and against them). When they aren't, it is a betrayal. How unfair
>> that she is not nurturing or caring to me! How mean that she is not
>> nurturing or caring, as she ought to be! Because if women are not being
>> kind, but are very emotional, they must be acting unfairly and in a mean
>> way.
>>
>> This fits with my recent experiences. In a recent semester, I had to come
>> down hard on a student who was consistently absent, not showing up for
>> class regularly, making the same mistakes paper after paper, etc. That was
>> the only semester that anyone has ever called me passive-aggressive on
>> student evals.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Best,
>>  Alison
>>

>> Quoting "ODowd, Ornaith (odowdoh)" <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>>  On the combination of “caring” with “unfair” and “mean,” it strikes me
>>> as being a lot like a certain teenage conception of “Mom.”
>>> -Ornaith.

Lisa Tessman

Associate Professor of Philosophy
Program in Social, Political, Ethical and Legal Philosophy (SPEL)
Binghamton University
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000

Office phone: (607) 777-2269
Email: [log in to unmask]