APA Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy

Fall 2015

Call for Papers

Due Date:  April 1, 2015—some leeway—contact the editor

Feminist Philosophy and Social Media

The theme for the Spring 2015 Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy is Feminist Philosophy and Social Media. Recently, Leon Wieseltier wrote “Among the Disrupted” (New York Times Sunday Book Review, January 7, 2015) which, among other things, talks about the failure of our thinking to keep up with developing technologies.

As some of you know, I have recently experienced this first hand (see the Chronicle of Higher Education, January 29, 2015). Our administration was stuck with a model of thinking about harms and appropriate responses that does not fit current technology. They could not see the harm or any way to address it. In addition, an instructor at Marquette was treated abominably, again using new technologies of communication. Though she might have suffered some harms without the use of those technologies, the harms were amplified and shaped by those technologies.

But social media and communication technologies have also been extremely useful to feminist philosophy. So much that furthers the aims of feminist philosophy has been done with blogs and other uses of the internet; with each new app, new possibilities for positive action becomes possible.

Papers on any aspect of the topic are welcome. Because of the nature of the newsletter and the fact that it is only available in electronic form now, articles of any length are acceptable.

This will be my last issue. I am handing over the editorship to someone new. If you are interested, please contact Hilde Lindemann, chair of the Committee on the Status of Women.

Book Reviews

I welcome reviewers for the books listed below. I am looking for reviewers with specific expertise on the subject of the text. Please keep in mind that book reviews are not the same as book reports. They should engage with the subject of the text in the context of other texts on the subject.

Bauer, Nancy. How to Do Things with Pornography. Harvard University Press, 2015.

Bianchi, Emanuela. The Feminist Symptom: Aleatory Matter in the Aristotelian Cosmos. Fordham University Press, 2014.

Butler, Judith. Senses of the Subject. Fordham University Press, 2015.

David, Miriam E. Feminism, Gender and Universities-Politics, Passion and Pedagogies. Institute of Education, University of London, UK, 2014.

Digby, Tom. Love and War: How Militarism Shapes Sexuality and Romance. Columbia University Press, 2014.

Lee, Emily, ed. Living Alterities: Phenomenology, Embodiment and Race. Suny Press, 2014.

Meyers, Diana Tietjens, ed. Poverty, Agency and Human Rights. Oxford University Press, 2014.

Tessman, Lisa. Moral Failure: On the Impossible Demands of Morality.  Oxford University Press, 2014.

Vellman, Andrea, and Mark Piper, eds. Autonomy, Oppression and Gender. Oxford University Press, 2014.

If you are interested in reviewing one of these texts, or wish to review a text not included here, please email me at [log in to unmask] with an attached C.V. and an explanation of your particular interest in and qualifications for reviewing the chosen text. If you do not own the book, I shall request a copy from the publisher. Deadlines for reviews are negotiable.

The format for submissions of papers and book reviews is in previous issues of the Newsletter. All submissions are anonymously reviewed.

Send submissions to: [log in to unmask]

Margaret A. Crouch

Editor, APA Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy

Department of History and Philosophy

Eastern Michigan University

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

734-487-0908