Hi Cynthia and FEASTers

Thanks for the chance for us to contribute our suggestions to your class. I have one key suggestion re your proposed content: it's important to recognise that black women are also victimised by police and so I would recommend that you incorporate this into your class. Here is a quick couple of blog posts/media articles to get you started:

http://www.gradientlair.com/post/95311948888/erasure-black-women-as-state-violence-victims (this one has a strict content use policy- need to contact the author before including in any course materials -http://www.gradientlair.com/content-use-policy

http://mashable.com/2015/05/26/police-brutality-black-women/

As for some texts on race/racism and the prison industrial complex, here are my go-to recommendations:

Angela Davis, Are Prisons Obsolete:
http://www.feministes-radicales.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Angela-Davis-Are_Prisons_Obsolete.pdf

Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Crow-Incarceration-Colorblindness/dp/1595586431