I’ve been listening to this fine discussion re mentoring.  I’m wondering….What exactly does it mean to “succeed” in the discipline of philosophy, or, as a “philosopher”?  I’m a bit confused about this and would enjoy hearing some considered judgements if anyone has thought about this reflective query?  Are there different ways to succeed?  And is there an hierarchy of success?  Also, how is class privilege related to mentoring and succeeding in philosophy?