Folks:

At SIUE, our undergrad philosophy majors do a long-form undergrad thesis. One of our students has asked me for help finding resources on gendered spaces, with a special interest in masculinity and the military. I provided some Marilyn Frye, Tom Digby, and Melissa Brown references.

Can you suggest any articles for the student?  Here is the student's own description of the project at this early stage of the game:

"By gendered spaces I just mean a general space where the gender make up or the interactions taking place within this space lean towards being considered feminine or masculine. These spaces are spaces like a nail salon, locker room, or a women's bathroom. Basically places where your gender does make a difference in the ways that you "do gender" in those spaces. I want to somehow show that the military is one of these places because of the nearly all male composition and because of the way that military service and work is often viewed as "tough" or work that is generally prescribed as masculine work. Socialization within these spaces applies differently than it does in the general public and I think that is an important aspect of the life of a veteran that needs to be looked at with respect to masculine socialization."

I have a decent sense of which authors might deal with these issues but other than what I have recommended (student may not have the budget for books), I am a little adrift on stand-alone articles.

Your knowledge and help is much appreciated.

Best,

 Alison

Alison Reiheld
Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
Director, Women's Studies Program
College of Arts and Sciences
Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__siue.academia.edu_AlisonReiheld&d=BQIFAw&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=6PAYxpJPkVI0KnPS0B_8UN6e9VygGQHMDXGawAqI1iM&s=O5wmzvHNFqnanBJHy-S2CaHNvUF39dpwCWLwVCXRXzk&e=