The celebration in life for Claudia Card will be held in Madison, Wisconsin on Oct 11. Details at the end of her obituary, below.

Claudia F. Card, age 74, passed away peacefully surrounded by family Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015 at Agrace HospiceCare in Fitchburg after a courageous battle with cancer. She was born Sept. 30, 1940 to Walter and Achsah (Falconer) Card. She graduated as Valedictorian from Pardeeville High School in 1958, went on to study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and graduated in 1962.  Claudia attended Harvard University to earn her MA and PhD in Philosophy in 1964 and 1969, respectively.

Claudia is survived by her three brothers Doug (Carolyn) Card, Bruce (Suzanne) Card, John (Kim) Card; nieces and nephews Jason, Melissa, Matt, Ryan, Eric and Ashley; many grandnephews and dear friend Vicky Davion. She was preceded in death by her parents.

Claudia was an Emma Goldman Professor of Philosophy at University of Wisconsin-Madison and taught nearly 50 years. Her accolades are far too numerous to list as evidenced in her lengthy curriculum vitae. She loved traveling, reading, movies, music and women’s sports.

Her family is grateful for the amazing caregivers at Agrace HospiceCare and Capitol Lakes; Claudia’s incredible CaringBridge network and endless visitors that provided encouragement and joy throughout her illness. She continued to be optimistic and always found a reason to be kind and smile.

Eloquently stated by David Loewenstein, a colleague and friend, there is so much to celebrate about Claudia’s life: she was a wonderful, vibrant, witty, generous woman who had a razor-sharp mind and who was a first-class and original scholar of philosophy.

A Celebration of Life will take place Sunday, Oct. 11 from 1:00 – 4:00 pm at the Pyle Center Alumni Lounge located on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus.