Dear FEASTERS. For those of you who have read GUANTANAMO DIARY or perhaps read the introduction  to Victims Stories and the Advancement of Human Rights (or who care very much about closing the Guantanamo Prison), please consider supporting this effort to gain Mohamadou Ould Slahi's release.  I'm in Paris thumbing on my phone. So I'll stop now. Thanks for considering this. Diana

Diana Tietjens Meyers
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Siems <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: May 4, 2016 at 3:00:58 PM GMT+2
To: "Meyers, Diana" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: amended appeal, for forwarding

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope this finds you all well.

I’m writing because there is some hopeful news at last in Mohamedou Ould Slahi’s case. On June 2, 2016, he will finally be receiving a Periodic Review Board hearing. You can find some interesting background about the PRB process here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.aljazeera.com_indepth_features_2015_11_prisoners-2Dguantanamo-2Ddangerous-2D151104183243532.html&d=CwIF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=9lr0JjNfXM1tn6dGJnAvDK8OM_k1yeCapMCKcBjD6eU&s=1Cs0jaLefVIJqhSBil1Ca3A-Ty9mKcWrtlDZDLnN1hM&e= > and here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.justsecurity.org_26305_remarkable-2Dand-2Dremarkably-2Dunnoticed-2Dguantanamo-2Dprb-2Dscorecard_&d=CwIF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=9lr0JjNfXM1tn6dGJnAvDK8OM_k1yeCapMCKcBjD6eU&s=DrwnrhipPrBNfcPUHqgktpXjLzUFS3GHgmAz76vPbp0&e= >. As those pieces suggest, this is the most promising development in Mohamedou’s case since a federal judge granted his habeas corpus petition in 2010.

As you can imagine, there is a considerable effort taking shape to collect and deliver expressions of support at this crucial moment.

To that end, I am attaching (below) a letter that we are hoping educators who have engaged with Guantánamo Diary will sign. The letter conveys the particular interest of the academic community in Mohamedou’s case.

Can you please have a look and consider adding your name? If you would like to sign on, please click this link <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_1TCq39ozHo-2Dq4j-5F0h-5F6sTgINu30QkWqRKyLh2eNppM5Q_alreadyresponded-3Fc-3D0-26w-3D1&d=CwIF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=9lr0JjNfXM1tn6dGJnAvDK8OM_k1yeCapMCKcBjD6eU&s=Rq8TKoxny5Z1yzUQdIoQliLjIdFaQYAhvfNAz21oeRo&e= > to add your details.  (If you can’t access the sign-on link, please email me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and let me know, and I’ll make sure you are added to the list)

Next, if you know of colleagues who would like to know about and be part of this effort, can you please forward this message on to them?

And lastly, if you have students who are interested, can you please forward them this link<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.change.org_p_secretary-2Dof-2Ddefense-2Dash-2Dcarter-2Drelease-2Dmy-2Dbrother-2Dfrom-2Dguantanamo&d=CwIF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=9lr0JjNfXM1tn6dGJnAvDK8OM_k1yeCapMCKcBjD6eU&s=z3DRXF2xUdTNOd2nSXsV0tXGjSqajT-R6MzBnUspneY&e= > to a change.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__change.org&d=CwIF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=9lr0JjNfXM1tn6dGJnAvDK8OM_k1yeCapMCKcBjD6eU&s=kVqNfnxSKN3SQuEkIgIdPip9kA2W5pVug_F9fT5uTAU&e= > petition that Mohamedou’s brother Yahdih has launched on his brother’s behalf?

I am so grateful to all of you for your support for Guantánamo Diary and your interest in Mohamedou’s case. Here’s hoping that his long ordeal may soon come to an end.

All the best,

Larry Siems

Editor, Guantánamo Diary

[TEXT OF LETTER FROM EDUCATORS TO SECDEF ASHTON CARTER]

May 2, 2016

Ashton B. Carter
Secretary of Defense
Department of Defense
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC

Dear Secretary Carter,

We are professors and teachers from a variety of disciplines. We are writing to convey our interest in the forthcoming Periodic Review Board hearing of Mohamedou Ould Slahi, the author of Guantánamo Diary, and our hope that those proceedings will bring an end to Mr. Slahi’s ordeal in United States custody.

Many of us have assigned Guantánamo Diary to our students and discussed it in our classrooms. We have done so because, as a Pentagon spokesman acknowledged shortly after Guantánamo Diary was published, “it’s part of our country’s history.” We have also done so because it is an important and often surprising work of literature—one that, like other notable works of prison literature, draws a complex portrait of life in captivity and testifies to the resilience of dignity and the human spirit.

When students read Guantánamo Diary, they are troubled by the ordeal Mr. Slahi recounts, and they are moved by his candor, wit, and willingness to recognize the humanity of his guards and interrogators. They are also full of questions, as we are, about why Mr. Slahi is in United States custody at all, and how the treatment he recounts accords with our most basic notions of fairness, due process, and justice.

Because it takes readers deep into some of the most wrenching experiences of our post-9/11 history, Mr. Slahi’s Guantánamo Diary will almost certainly be read for generations. But how it is read in the future will depend in large part on how and when Mr. Slahi’s time in United States custody ends.

We hope the Periodic Review Board will resolve Mr. Slahi’s profoundly troubling story. Guantánamo Diary reminds us vividly that justice is both a universal concept and an individual matter. As educators and as readers, we sincerely hope that Mr. Slahi’s faith in the United States’ fair administration of justice will at last be repaid.

[signed]