Oops, just noticed I sent the following reply privately-- copying it here
in case it helps clarify my inquiry.
Best,
Oli

* * *

Thank you. I'm familiar with many of those, though I will have to check out
the Valentine. I was thinking particularly of work dealing with ontologies
of sexual difference (from a more Continental perspective) and metaphysics
of gender (from a more analytic perspective) that address "what" these
categories are. Much of the work on sexual difference coming out of French
feminism, for example, seems to prioritize cisgender embodiment-- and I am
not well-versed in more "analytic" feminist metaphysics that takes up this
question from a trans-specific angle.
Thanks again,
Oli