It is important to read and re-read the rules. Then, re-read then again.
Here are new things for this year.
SERIOUS CHANGES FOR 2016 (All are the effects of simplifications.):
• There is no “Safety” region now. The whole quarter-circle region is all Base. The inner curved line is meaningless now.
• The ceiling of Base has been removed, so there is no limit on how tall a Launching Robot may be.
• Transported objects partly in Base when the Robot is Interrupted are always given to the Ref, out of play.
• Stranded objects partly in Base are always given to the Ref, out of play.
• On-Field Storage outside Base no longer allowed.
• If the Robot is Interrupted Transporting an object not completely in Base, the Ref now keeps that object no matter what.
• There is no “Junk” penalty.
• Local Head Referee responsibility is enhanced.
• The “Benefit Of The Doubt” rule is strengthened.
-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/26/16 4:50 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Question regarding sending Manure Samples to the Training And Research Area (M09)
******** Confidentiality Statement: This electronic message and attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information. Receipt of this transmission by any person other than the intended recipient does
not constitute permission to examine, copy, or distribute the accompanying material. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender of the message. All email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the Commonwealth
of Virginia's Records Retention Laws, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement. ********
No, what is described below is not allowable.
Having an extra LEGO piece (D03 Equipment) in the Training and Research area is fine.
Strongly attaching Mission Models to anything else is not permitted. See R11, Mission Model Handling:
-- If you combine a Mission Model with something (including the Robot), the combination must be loose enough that if asked to do so, you could pick the Mission Model up and nothing else would come with it.
So, attaching the disc-shaped Manure Sample to a flat board is probably not allowed. There are other ways to keep things from rolling away, of course, that don't require the pieces to be attached to each other.
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor
To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE your settings, please visit
and select "Join or leave the list".
VADCFLL administrative announcements are sent via VADCFLL-ANNOUNCEMENTS-L. Visit