Prof Roger Scruton in the Daily Mail, of 08/01/17, is reported as having said to students at the School of "Oriental" and African Studies that, 'If they think there is a colonial context from which Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason arose, I would like to hear it.'

Scruton's question is an example of derailing using education: http://www.derailingfordummies.com/derail-using-education/. 'If you won't educate me, how can I learn?', Scruton seems to say. Scruton is a trained researcher. Books have been written. Let Scruton use the skills in which he has supposedly been trained to seek out and to read those books.

Several books, none of which Scruton *appears* to have read, by Immanuel Kant are relevant, here. In the clip, below, from the British Broadcasting Corporation's 'Newsnight', my colleague, Dr Kehinde Andrews exposes the existence of some of these books, to the public. It is not hyperbole to say he *exposes* these: it was, curiously, only in the last few decades that supposed scholars of Kant's philosophy became standardly and publicly aware of his 'anthropology'. There is now an extensive critical counter-colonial secondary literature on these books. Before derailing our time, energy, and resources on gauntlets like that thrown down by Scruton, philosophers on this mailing list would do well to harness the skills in which they are supposedly trained to seek out and to read that secondary scholarly critical counter-colonial literature.

BBC Newsnight (@BBCNewsnight)
"Of course the enlightenment was racist" @kehinde_andrews talks about the problems with UK university curricula #newsnight pic.twitter.com/9WXcKQluUG

'Of course the enlightenment was racist. It's built on the idea that there is a special knowledge from europe.

'If we think about someone like Immanuel Kant, who is still revered, he comes up with the taxonomy of "races", which is so important to how we understand . . .

'I was not deemed to be a person by Immanuel Kant, when he was writing. If that's not racism, I don't know what it is'.

natcphd
  1. How PHILOSOPHY Was Whitewashed
  2. Why Is My CURRICULUM White? (We Inherited Galton)
  3. Why Is The UNIVERSITY Still White?What Is Blackstudies?