From: Feminist ethics and social theory [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda A Bell
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 8:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NHA action alert: Oppose the elimination of NEH

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing

Feedback

I really agree with Noelle.  Not everything we need to fight is a matter of life and death, even though much of it actually is at the moment.  Surely, though, we can—and must--resist on many different fronts at once.  Not all of them will be equally momentous, but all may be extremely important when we think of the bigger picture:  what kind of society we want.  I always find myself uneasy when activist groups I support ask me to rank issues or to choose THE most important issue from among many vital ones that they should be supporting.

Please remember that the early women’s movement lost its momentum for a very long time because it felt forced by the opposition to choose only one of the important issues for which it was fighting—and it dutifully choose voting rights for women.  It was a great strategy for the opposition to use since after women’s suffrage was granted, the response was withering disdain:  after all, women had supposedly gotten what they wanted.  Let’s not make that mistake again, particularly when we are confronted with an administration that is so extreme on so many issues and probably would be quite happy to raise the stakes on some so that it can “magnanimously” back down on one or two--if that might stop our protests and allow it to get by with everything else.

Linda Bell