https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ucu.org.uk_action-2Dagainst-2Dworkplace-2Dracism&d=CwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=GqnsrWPCTHUHItj_Qj0U9h0OkagFrYYuMfzw8Gwflw8&s=M_ExQ16u8lDp8Q6By80RXAewZHzvfJd-pJVjE0Ir1IA&e=

UCU day of action against workplace racism
On 8 February 2017 UCU will be holding a day of action against workplace racism.

'...you're really articulate for a black person'

'...but where are you REALLY from?'

'...although it seems very minor, consistent and persistent misspelling of my name.  If you can learn Dostoyevsky...'

Extracts from the UCU survey into the experiences of black workers in further and higher education, 2015

Our theme this year is 'This is what racism looks like' and follows on from our successful first day of action against workplace racism held on 10 February 2016. The campaign aims to highlight the issues faced in our workplaces by black workers in the post-16 education sector and to raise the profile and progression of race equality in the union.

Suggested branch activities for the day of action

Branches are encouraged to choose one of these activities to mark the day and raise awareness in their workplaces:

film showings - using the 'Witness' film chronicling the lived experiences of UCU black members
share   the 'witness' document [824kb] capturing some of the experiences of UCU's black members
meetings to promote or discuss the   findings of the survey of BME staff [132kb]
joint meetings with NUS - suggested themes 'Liberate My Degree' or 'Decolonise the Curriculum'
stalls to distribute the challenging workplace racism pack - posters and leaflets can be found on the dedicated page on the UCU website
promote the 'Black Voices' blog on the UCU website
you can also find details of events being held on the day of action 2017 here.
Branches are also being encouraged to use the UCU bargaining guide on tackling workplace racism and to raise the issues identified with employers as an integral part of the collective bargaining agenda.

UCU Survey

The survey of 631 black union members working in post-16 education found that:

over two-thirds (71%) said they had 'often' or 'sometimes' been subject to bullying and harassment from managers
nine out of ten (90%) black staff members report having faced barriers to promotion in colleges and universities.
Report finds high levels of discrimination in colleges and universities

 The experiences of black and minority ethnic staff in further and higher education, Feb 16 [132kb]

The qualitative data from the survey into experiences of UCU's black members can be found here:

 Witness - voice of UCU black members, Feb 17 [824kb]
 Witness - voice of UCU black members, Feb 17 [277kb]

'Witness'

Initiated by UCU Black Members' Standing Committee, our new film 'witness' chronicles the lived experiences of UCU black members in post-16 education.

 'witness' film: worksheet [146kb]
 'witness' film: what next? [146kb]
 'witness' film: questions [142kb]

To view the subtitled version please click here.

You can also watch a quick preview of some of the issues raised in the film:

UCU challenging workplace racism resources

Challenging discrimination is a crucial part of UCU's work. The union tackles discrimination both on an individual basis - supporting individual members experiencing problems - and collectively, challenging racism within organisations and across the post-school education sector.

We have produced these materials as a tool to highlight the issue in further and higher education workplaces and to engage staff in our campaign.

 Challenging workplace racism - poster 1 [56kb]
 Challenging workplace racism - poster 2 [51kb]
 UCU: challenging workplace racism - leaflet [254kb]
If you would like some of the resources referred to above please contact Martin Whelton .

natcphd
How PHILOSOPHY Was Whitewashed
Why Is My CURRICULUM White? (We Inherited Galton)
Why Is The UNIVERSITY Still White?—What Is Blackstudies?