---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Meryl Altman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:36 PM
Subject: Fwd: International Development Ethics Association: an update on International Women's Day
To: Meryl Altman <[log in to unmask]>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM
To: Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>

This email is meant to bring news to those who recently have been members and to others who may have an interest in the International Development Ethics Association's events and publications. If you would like to be removed from future mailings, please just reply to this email.

A. Note from the President

This brief message is sent just at this moment to meet a call for action in response to the arrest of our colleague İştar Gözaydın. It seems particularly fitting that this request go out on International Women’s Day. Please consider signing a petition for the release of our colleague, a sociologist and political scientist whose focus includes women in urban and religious policy in Turkey. Details below. I would be glad to provide further information on Gozaydin’s case if any of you wish for details. We continue to work with others for her freedom; updates will be available at https://developmentethics.org/december-19-arrest-by-turkish-authorities-of-professor-istar-gozaydin/ .

Our world is evidently entering unusual and difficult times for the promotion of international development and for the promotion of ethics within that process. It seems appropriate for me to acknowledge, on the heels of such a call for your voice on behalf of a colleague, that IDEA as an organization has not voiced a concern regarding recent and important political currents of the past year. The reason for this may be found in the principles of IDEA’s formation, visible particularly the organization’s Merida Declaration of 1989: https://developmentethics.org/announcements/declarations-2/. Critical consideration of policy is certainly a lively concern of IDEA. Critical perspectives upon an especially pressing concern occupy the pages of the current issue of the associated journal, Journal of Global Ethics. Calls to activism also have a place. IDEA has not generally taken public stands on policy, however: its public face and the ethos of the organization up to present reflect the characteristics of the Merida Declaration.

Your proposals are welcome: If you have thoughts, or have events you would like to discuss, please do feel free to contact me, or other officers noted at the end of this messageA summer 2018 IDEA congress is in planning and other news and conference announcements follow below.

Sincerely,

Eric Palmer

President, International Development Ethics Association

 http://developmentethics.org/

B. Request for action on incarceration of Istar Gozaydin

Please consider circulating the following among your colleagues:

Istar Gozaydin is an intellectual, a human rights activists and an important scholar of Turkish society and politics. After the coup she expressed her views, condemning the coup but opposing the death penalties. She was fired from her job shortly after the coup attempt and close to three months ago was arrested on charges that have not been made public. She has been incarcerated since 20 December.

At the moment we are organizing a petition from scholars around the world to ask for her release. Please see below the petition and where to send an e-mail.

I also ask you to circulate this request among colleagues by facebook or e-mail lists, to increase exposure and support. Organizers ask that no signatures be collected from within Turkey, to ensure personal safety and to ensure that the petition's message will not be characterized as political alignment.

http://standinggroups.ecpr.eu/religion/?p=518   To sign, please email name and academic affiliation to: [log in to unmask]

Thank you.

C. External announcements:

1. Human Development and Capabilities Association: September 6-8, 2017: Cape Town, South Africa (Deadline March 17, 2017)

https://hd-ca.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HDCA_2017-Call-for-Papers_FINAL.pdf

IDEA maintains customary connections with several interest groups within HDCA: Ethics and development, Foundational issues, and Human rights. Those who may wish to discuss proposals for thematic sessions to these groups should contact the group coordinators asap — some have provisional deadlines for planning of today, March 8. (see https://hd-ca.org/thematic-groups)

2. Cambridge Capability Conference - 2017 CCC, 19-21 June, Cambridge, UK

Hosted by the Centre of Development Studies, University of Cambridge, this year, we wish to celebrate the launch of Professor Amartya Sen's extended edition of 'Collective Choice and Social Welfare', inviting Professor Wulf Gaertner, one of the most distinguished Social Choice scholars in the world, to be the key-note speaker of the conference. Preference will be given to full papers and to papers exploring the link between Social Choice and the Capability Approach. However, all papers relevant to the Capability Approach field are welcome. We hope to publish a book with the best 2017 CCC papers. Deadline: 17 April. More information please email Dr Flavio Comim: [log in to unmask]

3. European Center for Sustainable Development ICSD 2017: 5th International Conference on Sustainable Development, 6 - 7 September 2017 Rome, Italy (Deadline 10 June, 2017)https://philevents.org/event/show/26350

D. Membership in IDEA

I do hope that the activities noted above will encourage you to join or re-join IDEA as a member for 2016 and support the organization’s future. Membership in IDEA is an inexpensive way to access current issues of the journal, at $75 (Global “North” Academic and Professional), or $40 (Students, Post-graduate students, Unemployed, Retired, and all Global “South”). Online access is not included with the IDEA subscription.

Membership may be commenced or renewed at http://www.pdcnet.org/idea/International-Development-Ethics-Association-(IDEA) .

Membership: $75 (Global “North” Academic and Professional)

$40 (Students, Post-graduate students, Unemployed, Retired, and all Global “South”)

IDEA Officers: President: Eric Palmer (Allegheny College, USA; [log in to unmask]), Vice-President: Sandra Boni (Universitat Politècnica de València, Espana; [log in to unmask]),  Treasurer: Mario Solis Umana (Universidad de Costa Rica; [log in to unmask]), Secretary: Anna Malavisi (Michigan State University, USA; [log in to unmask])

Board: Jérôme Ballet (Université Bourdeaux, France), Gillian Brock (University of Auckland, New Zealand) James Crombie (Université Sainte Anne, Canada), Steve Esquith (Michigan State University), Fred Gifford (Michigan State University), Sirkku Hellsten (Nordic Africa Institute, Uppsala), David Hoekema (Calvin College, USA), Lori Keleher (New Mexico State University, USA), Gürcan Koçan (Istanbul Technical University, Turkey), Christine Koggel (Carleton University, Canada), Stacy Kosko (University of Maryland, USA), Ndidi Nwaneri (Loyola University, USA), Chloe Schwenke (International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)), Jimmy Washburn (Universidad de Costa Rica), Krushil Watene (University of Auckland, New Zealand), Carlos Zorro (Universidad de los Andes, Colombia)

Past Presidents: David Crocker (University of Maryland, USA), Nigel Dower (Aberdeen,UK), Jay Drydyk (Carleton University, Canada), Asuncion St Clair (DNV-GL Group, Norway)