I'm co-teaching a freshman honors seminar next fall that my colleague and I have titled, "Borders: Race, Gender, and the Politics of Citizenship."   Can anyone suggest philosophical readings for such a course, which might be appropriate for bright first-year college students? We have a number of readings that address contemporary issues, but I'm looking for some more fundamental philosophical investigations of problems such as the drawing of divisions between who does and does not belong in a community; or philosophical investigations of the particular ways that Americans have drawn these divisions.  Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!  -Shari

Shari Stone-Mediatore
Author of Reading Across Borders: Storytelling and Knowledges of Resistance
Professor of Philosophy
Ohio Wesleyan University
Delaware, OH  43015
United States