Thank you, Rebecca.

This is very illuminating, especially that the subtitle of the venue for Vigo's piece (Counterpunch) includes "naming the names."  Tracking down and contacting the employers of persons with whom one disagrees is a common tactic for a certain subset of internet activists, a tactic that is not limited to any particular position. We have seen its detrimental effects in the past. One of the most notable cases is what happened to Justine Sacco. We haven't much seen it in academia, though I think we can take the campaign against George Yancy as in this vein.

I expect most administrators, no matter how dedicated to faculty they are--and some are focused instead on institutional preservation from a business and PR perspective--don't have much experience responding to such critiques, especially when the recipient is not well-known and very junior. I worry that the assumption made by admins is all too likely to be "No one would say this unless it has merit" or "Whether or not this has merit, it makes our institution look bad. Let's simply not renew this grad student's funding, renew this contingent faculty member's contract, or approve this tenure-track faculty member's retention."

Some of Vigo's articles for Counterpunch on other topics are quite interesting and thoughtful, but the ideological roots of this most recent letter--and the tactics--are pretty clear.  That said, the most recent letter stands on its own in putting gender theory in opposition to women's welfare. We can make of that what we will.  Some on this list may agree. Some may disagree. But the truth value of this claim is not the issue at hand.

The issue at hand seems to me to be whether it is appropriate to have public critiques of articles and journals and the methods of other scholars, however strident (the Hypatia letter), be a matter for employment penalties. When we publish articles, we open ourselves up to criticism from our colleagues in the profession and the public at large. We do not, in general, think it acceptable or typical that offering such criticism should be met with penalties in employment.

Or do we?

Best,

  Alison

Alison Reiheld
Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy
Director, Women's Studies Program
College of Arts and Sciences
Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
https://siue.academia.edu/AlisonReiheld