Below is guidance given to judges regarding judging format. I am sharing it with teams so teams know what to expect in judging.
Core Values Judging Format
Core Values Poster is optional in the VA-DC region. A Core Values Poster is encouraged as it provides a conversation guide for both rookie and experienced teams.
1. ~ 5 minutes – Teamwork Activity: When your team enters the judging room, they will be given a short, fun activity while the Judges observe how the team works together. Team introductions should be extremely brief.
2. ~ 5 minutes – Questions and Answers: Time reserved for the Core Values Judges to ask questions about the Teamwork Activity, your displayed Core Values Poster and the season. Core Values Posters are optional in VA-DC. Teams with posters and team without posters should be weighted equally.
Project Judging Format
1. 5 minutes – Project Presentation: When your team enters the judging room, they will have 5 minutes to present their project. All setup is included in the 5 minutes and no adults should help with setup. Team introductions should be extremely brief.
2. 5 minutes – Questions and Answers: Judges will ask questions related to the Project Rubric.
Robot Design Judging Format
A Robot Design Executive Summary (RDES) is optional in our region. RDES is encouraged as it provides a conversation guide for both rookie and experienced teams.
1. ~ 4 minutes – Robot Presentation and Trial Run: When the team enters the judging room, they should be prepared to present their robot and conduct one trial run. Team introductions should be extremely brief.
Robot Presentation (Verbal or written)
The robot presentation should cover the following:
a. Robot Facts
b. Design Details (Fun, Strategy, Design Process)
c. Mechanical Design
Run the robot briefly to demonstrate how it completes the mission(s) of the team’s choice. Please do not do an entire robot round.
2. ~ 6 minutes – Questions and Answers: Judges will ask questions related to the Robot Design Rubric. It is highly recommended each team have a means of showing some programming.
VA-DC Judge Advisor
To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE your settings, please visit
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html and select "Join or leave the list".
VADCFLL administrative announcements are sent via VADCFLL-ANNOUNCEMENTS-L. Visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-announcements-l.html to subscribe.