Dear Gregg and Colleagues

I had to delay a careful read of your opening statement of the TOK mission because of grading deadlines end of Semester at Georgetown, but now that is al behind me and I am in a festive mood and what better to celebrate the winter solstice than by recognizing your invocation of the return of the light anounced as a call to discussion TOK as you have outlined it. I am truly delighted to be included and am looking forward to its unfolding eagerly. Thanks for your kind words of introduction. The piece that you were referring to can be found here, in case anyone might be interested.

I only recently got to know Gregg and his work a bit this past summer. I was immediately very much impressed both by the immense scope of his vision, but equally by his openness and warmth in response to my overture wanting to engage further. I very much appreciate his rich framing of our discussion enterprise, and feel the need to try at least to do justice to its ambition, but (get ye behind me satan) but I fear that feeling is a temptation to say much more than is appopriate to the occasion, or than anyone wants to hear at this juncture. That said,  I will immediately succumb to the temptor, be it devil or angel, and dive right in. I would like to share with the rest of you the first moderately thought out response I made to Gregg after I had spent some time with some of the major elements of the ToK project. It was my attempt to situate myself in relation to his vision and to try to suggest lines of potential collaboration. I apologize for the length, but only a little. It is not as crisp and synthetic of multple relevant threads as is is opening statement, but it might amplify some of those particularly from the perspective of contemporary "continental" philosophy, though I hesitate to label it that way. So here goes:

Dear Gregg,

I just finished reading your paper “Intersubjective Mental Behaviorism: Using the Tree of Knowledge System to Develop a Holistic Philosophy,” and chapter 9 of your book, “The Fifth Joint Point.” Working through them was extremely helpful in many ways. First of all, it gave me a clearer appreciation and admiration for the scope and integration of your project as you have worked it out over the years. Second, it helped me situate the two projects, yours and mine, in relationship to one another more clearly: both multiple points of intersection, broadly shared assumptions and goals, as well as a passion for inclusiveness, consistency and integration. I am truly amazed and quite grateful to find someone with whom I share so much on multiple intellectual and academic levels (don’t worry;  I am not going to suggest we move in together, but I do see a lot of exciting possibilities for collaboration.)

The purpose of what follows is very preliminary in my mind; pretty much just to get some observations and impressions down in print and run them by you both to check for accuracy in my understanding and to get your reactions.

First a confession: all of my training and tribal prejudices accumulated over decades have left me incapable of metaphysics in any way, shape or form; by metaphysics here I mean the more narrowly and historically defined project that commences with Plato and Aristotle and culminates in Hegel and which takes philosophy to be the pursuit of systematic, scientific knowledge of the basic structures and principles of Reality as a whole. My background in Existentialism, phenomenology and hermeneutics leads me to regard metaphysics in that historical tradition, or metaphysics as still practiced today in the general style of analytic philosophy, as a species that failed to adapt to widespread loss of habitat, specifically all of the body-blows dealt to the foundations of rationalism by sweeping cultural upheaval between 1850 and the present. Three main elements to those extinctionary forces: rise of historical consciousness – no trans-historical verities; insistence on human freedom as at least equally basic to humanity as reason; recognition of the universality of language as constitutive of cultural Reality as a whole. My doctoral work and early publications were focused on H.G. Gadamer’s philosophical hermeneutics, what he refers to as an “ontology of language” as the inheritor of all the surviving DNA of Metaphysics. Long story short, I feel the need to restrict the notion Knowledge to the sciences (in the inclusive, integrated, and differentiated way that you do) and to regard knowledge as a very specific and highly determined form of human understanding, but in no sense a privileged one. Hermeneutically stated, scientific knowledge is one of primary forms of human understanding, functioning together with the “humanities” the arts and other major forms of cultural expression (including good old “common sense”) to constitute the horizon of human existence as a whole. It is that horizon that I am interested in surveying in a unified categorical way, using Human Dignity as the defining center of any and all perspectival, historically situated and culturally localized forms of understanding, including all of the traditional academic disciplines on their way to becoming transdisciplinary.

I hope that makes some short hand sense, but having said that, it does not in any way alter my sense that the projects are not only complementary, but very robustly so, potentially in a sort of take over the world way. The framework you have put together is a stunning example of a hermeneutics of science at its absolute optimum. Can we combine it with a hermeneutics of Human Dignity that is fully compatible with the ToK and which connects to it specifically at a fifth nodal point (Freedom) which has its own information processing protocol (Responsibility)? Let me try to sketch out the first stages of a bridge building project toward that goal.

Let’s start with the Singularity as you do in your version of the Universe Story. You rightly observe that some people call this “God”(in my terminology, the “Saints” do so, specifically in a monotheistic and scriptural sense). These are the personalists, and their main point – if I may be so bold – is not ultimately about God, but about what counts as primary reality, the most basic and most important characteristic of the universe. Primal reality for them is “Personhood” or better, Personal Identity; what you refer to as the Ultimate Justification, spelled out as the respect accorded to every person both intrinsically and as merited. Note that the distinction between “divine” and “human” persons within this saintly version of the universe story, while by no means unimportant, nevertheless turns out in the end to be just that-a distinction within the foundational category of the dignity of personal identity. In the scriptural tradition, as opposed to monotheistic theology, the notion of God is inconceivable without the notion of Revelation through creation and, specifically, the creation of Adam and Eve. So my primary point is that for personalists the singularity has the name of “God” in the narrative but what that name identifies is the ultimacy and therefore the dignity of personal identity. In other words, the Singularity/God is the origin of universal Reality as it appears from the center of a circle which that reality comprises, and the center of that circle is personal identity. Personal identity emerges according to the story as its central character, the center through which all energy passes. Of course, the term “personal identity” is not restricted necessarily to human beings; it could be applied not only to “God” but also to other life forms in the universe that are mental, cultural and respectful of the intrinsic dignity of freedom.

For a variety of reasons which it would be useful to discuss, I find it helpful to refer to this same Singularity as “Mystery.” There is a strong and immediate connection between the two nominations. Meaning is relation. Singularity is not simply the absence of relation, but the impossibility of relation. Mystery is the experience of the impossibility, not simply the mere absence, of meaning. But the experience of the impossibility of meaning has the character of paradox. It is both the absence of meaning and the revelation of a need for meaning, a solicitation of meaning. This experience of mystery is a mental behavior, and as such it bears the character of all primary human experience: it is both a privation and simultaneously an erotic desire. This is important because it establishes from the beginning that the logic of primary human experience, which is always linguistic, has the structure of “both/and” as its basic logic, rather than the either/or logic of deterministic material causality. The structure of meaning, as relationship, requires both similarity and difference, connection and distinction. It is this “both/and” logical structure inherent in language that establishes the mysterious and paradoxical character of reality as a whole by locating these characteristics at the center of reality in the mystery of personal identity.

Although it might seem a long way from the cosmic Singularity to the experience of individual human beings, that distance is relativized when we remember that, like “God,” the Singularity is inconceivable (meaningless) except in relationship to human beings, because we are not talking about bear objective or factual existence, but rather about meaningful experience.

Second major point: the dignity of personal identity is based foundationally on freedom (while I can’t buy into any epistemic foundationalism, with regard to issues of respect for value or dignity, there is paradoxically no choice: freedom is the only possible source or criterion of values in any sense). Freedom is the logically necessary presumption required to talk about values in any sense other than at the purely quantitative, and a fortiori, values at the level of dignity. You are very correct to observe that freedom at the incremental or secondary level is measured not quantitatively but rather qualitatively in terms of its wholeness or integrity and follows the both/and logic of universality. Again, at the level of experience I identify the functioning of freedom as the specific form of information processing demanded by dialogical embeddedness in the fabric of Culture. This notion of responsibility is clearly directly connected to the notion of justification, but at the same time makes explicit the connection or trajectory of the justification process toward its ultimate goal, personal dignity. In this sense, freedom must be absolute if it is to serve as the basis for a level of personal dignity which is genuinely inviolable.

Third point: any talk of “absolute” freedom immediately raises the question of how such an unconditional freedom can exist amid the equally pervasive reality of human finitude. This concern requires that a clear distinction be made between freedom and liberty of choice by insisting that there is more to freedom than just liberty of choice. The importance of observing this distinction becomes clear when we recognize that one of the principle driving forces of the rhetoric of cultural warfare is the indiscriminate use of the words “freedom” and “liberty” as if they were simply synonymous and interchangeable. But this is not the case. When this substitution occurs in rhetoric about national and international political affairs a deep confusion inevitably follows. Liberty is the province of culture as such; political, economic, legal and societal norms and practices have the equitable distribution and expansion of liberty for all citizens as their primary rationale. As a consequence, liberty of choice is always situationally conditioned in virtue of innumerable limiting factors ranging from the physical (gravity, time/space) through the genetic, mental and socio-cultural. Freedom, on the other hand, refers to the inalienable and unconditioned presumption afforded every person of a capacity to take full responsibility for the meaning of his or her existence, finally and without partiality. Freedom in this sense is closely related to the traditional notion of conscience: what I do/who I am makes a difference with regard to reality as a whole and I am myself fully responsible for the identity I have as a person constituted by the complex meanings ascribed to my life by myself and by others. This total responsibility cannot be limited by circumstance or even by other freedoms. I remain responsible for my identity as a whole even though there are multiple components of that identity over which I have either no, or at most limited control.  Since freedom is inevitably marked by the same paradoxical ambiguity that characterizes its origin in Singularity/Mystery, it comes as no surprise that this totality of meaning by which any person is identified will itself also be both mysterious and paradoxical both in the experience of oneself and in the experience of others.

Finally I very much appreciate and support the personal testimony you give at the end of chapter nine regarding dignity as a beacon of hope by which all human beings can struggle ahead in the attempt to live decent and meaningful lives and take authentic responsibility for who they are. I have found that to be true in my own life as well.

Well, if anyone is still with me, I will end with once again asking pardon for the abusive length of this post. My only excuse is genuine enthusiasm and personal hope.

All good wishes,

Frank

Francis J. Ambrosio, PhD
Associate Professor of Philosophy