Hello ToK Society,

I just finished reading this 1989 journal article, "Root Metaphor Theory: A Philosophical Framework for Counseling and Psychotherapy", and thought I would share, since it's relevant to our ongoing "world hypotheses" discussion. (Sorry I only have the abstract. I read it on a public database that I'm registered in. Hopefully, anyone here interested can get access to it in their university's library database.)

Abstract:
"By exploring alternative worldviews or philosophical frames of reference, counselors can look beyond their own encapsulated images of reality and examine different assumptions concerning the nature of psychological phenomena and the process of change. The present article offers an overview of the root metaphors and philosophical assumptions associated with formism, mechanism, contextualism, and organicism—the four worldviews described in Pepper's (1942) philosophical treatise and his presentation of root metaphor theory. Recent and historical trends of development in counseling theory and practice are examined within the context of Pepper's metaphilosophical system."

Trait/type theory and the DSM were given as examples of being associated with Formism.

Freud's model of the mind and behaviorism were given as examples of being associated with Mechanism.

Examples associated with Contextualism and Organicism were given, as well.

~ Jason Bessey