John:

Thank you for the notice of the NYT piece on Higher Ed’s Low Moment.  I have had the unfortunate opportunity to watch that unfold during my academic career.  I suggest that what is occurring to academia, in this regard, represents the end point of a process whose roots lie in Primary and Secondary education in the United States.  Another outcome of this unfolding is, to me, the election of the current president and the painful, daily observation of the associated mental and behavioral dysfunction (which is meant as a clinical observation and not a political statement).

Best regards,

Waldemar

Waldemar A Schmidt, PhD, MD
(Perseveret et Percipiunt)
503.631.8044

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. (A Einstein)