Gregg, thanks for that critique of higher education. I have picked up on this peripherally in on-going public debate and commentary about the cost of higher education in this country, gravitating to the equivalence of tuition and ultimate income, bi-passing the quality of life gained in becoming a perennial student/life-long learner, or at least that's been my experience and that of my children. Not to be glib about this issue of BS in higher education, but it seems to me that there have been a number of factors that have contributed to the erosion of American Education, starting with 'question authority' movement back in the 60s, followed by bottom-lineism as the order of the day in this country across the board. Anecdotally, when I graduated from McGill University in Montreal Canada in 1974 there weren't many jobs for PhDs in biomedical research, so the Canadian Medical Research Council suspended its graduate programs for 2 years. At the same time, the grad school programs in the US increased their admissions!

Maybe your efforts to address the ToK will help in this regard? One can only hope.