I largely agree with this, Darcia, although I would add that there are straightforward behavioral genetic processes also, or so it seems from twin studies. The bottom line from my perspective is that while the developmental trajectory is complicated and multifaceted, at the individual difference in disposition to act and respond, there is value in thinking in terms of traits. Teaching adults, for example, that they have high Trait Neuroticism to provide an explanatory frame for why they are readily stressed out compared to others can be useful.

Steve,

I look forward to positioning contextualism in relationship to organicism.

I had a question about contextualism, which will relate to my overall summary. It seems to me that contextualism does not apply well to certain aspects of the universe. For example, consider an electron. As far as we know, electrons are essentially interchangeable. They are all by and large identical and they have no memory and have not been shaped by experience at any level. There is no historicity in an electron, other than its place in space and time. Thus, I was wondering if contextualism would apply to such an entity.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Darcia Narvaez
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stephen Pepper's "World Hypotheses"

Gregg, and that brings up another realm of discussion--epigenetics. If we look at Harlow's mistreated monkeys (lacking maternal touch), they were all stress-reactive in similar ways (for which we have neuroscientific explanations now--suboptimally developed HPA, vagal tone, endocrine systems, neurotransmitter systems) from lack of evolved maternal care. Humans are even more epigenetically shaped than any other animal, including temperament which is shaped by gestational experience, birth experience and caregiver treatment in the first days, weeks and months (temperament is typically measured first at 4 months of age--LOTS has happened before that).  Plus there's epigenetic inheritance from the experience of parents and grandparents. So what is called "psychological traits" are by and large intergenerationally shaped, experienced-based outcomes, including the wide range of psychopathologies (off the the optimal trajectory of human development when properly supported) that are common today.

Darcia