Hi List,

  I posted this on the Div 24 Theoretical and Philosophical Psych List and thought I would cross post it here.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: BS in higher ed article

Thanks for everyone’s stimulating comments here, re the Christian Smith article. (BTW, he is an interesting scholar, whose work on the sociology of the person I recommend).

For me, when I read the BS in higher ed article, I thought of the issues in terms of the “WKID” knowledge hierarchy.

Let’s start with the fact that the mission of universities could be many things, potentially. Indeed, clearly it currently serves a number of functions. First and foremost, they serve a credentialing function (the degree from the institution is a badge of worth—signaling status which employers like). Universities also now serve a student developmental function (we have basically created an extension on development, the “young adult period” and it is now where young adults of means who seek status spend their final period before becoming full adults). And they serve a technical training function (i.e., prep them for jobs to make capital). And, finally, they potentially serve a Wisdom and Knowledge function (overlapping with a classic liberal arts view of education). That is, the top half of the WKID knowledge hierarchy.

However, as I discuss in this blog, big ideas for knowledge (and, by implication, wisdom) have, for a host of reasons, been in short supply and had limited influence. And this means they have lost their capacity to serve a centripetal, organizing function for the mission of universities. And the weakening of that central force has been coupled with strengthening the neo-liberal capitalist forces of consumerism, fostering a cool place to live for four years, a status signal. Thus, instead of cultivating knowledge and wisdom (arguably because there is a complete absence of consensus on how to think about these things any more), the modern institutions are selling themselves to the parent-student consumers (telling them, “look at this cool fountain,” or “look at all these services,” or “this will be a FUN experience!”), sell themselves as credentials (“look, we rank 16th in the country, you get a degree from here and you will be hired”), and selling themselves to technical knowledge (learn accounting, learn how to research this narrow problem, learn how to be a hotel/restaurant manager, etc).

So, I read the Smith critique and nodded along because I see this. But I think the BS is building up for a reason that has much to do with the fault of the academy. The Academy has its beginnings, at least in Western Civilization, with Socrates and Plato and Artistotle, who sought to cultivate the love of authentic knowledge. Such notions have evolved such that very few people think or talk that way anymore. Just look at the status of philosophy itself. To me, for those who don’t like the current state of affairs in the purpose and function of universities in this country, this is a call for the academy itself to return to the question of whether or not there is such a thing as Big Knowledge and/or Deep Wisdom. Do we know what that is? Do we know what it is not?

Although these are not good times for intellectual integrity, maybe we can use these dark times to start the pendulum swinging the other way. For, whatever you think of our current President, it is crystal clear that he is opposite of traditional knowledge and wisdom. So maybe we can use this moment, via a salient exemplar of the antithesis, to revisit the thesis of whether or not our universities might actually have knowledge and wisdom to offer.