Gregg: A few additional thoughts regarding contextualism:
Chance:  I'm intrigued by your account of mysticism -- and the Star Wars connection!  I similarly found myself vibrating in reaction to Pepper's account of the animistic world hypotheses (as there are echoes of animism in my thinking).   I don't think Pepper is challenging regional claims advanced by animists and mystics.  Rather, he is questioning whether they have sufficient scope and specificity to account for our world as we experience it in toto.   Imagine it is 400 BC [the time of Plato] and a ship full of mystics heads off to Isolated Island #1, a ship full of formists heads off to Isolated Island #2, a and a ship full of mechanists heads off to Isolated Island #3.  Each group starts a new civilization on their respective islands that lasts many thousands of years.  We decide to check in on them once each century.  How will history unfold differently on these three islands?  I suspect that Pepper would anticipate that we'd be much less likely to witness the full flowering of science on Island #1.  But what if one of these islands could sponsor (in the spirit of eclecticism) a "joint conference"?   Perhaps they would finally appreciate how to make effective use of biofeedback machines.

Jason:
  ~ Steve Q.