Darcia, I love the points you have made here, especially the idea that an innate, evolutionarily-produced tribalism is "merely" a justification for the tribalism that we see around us now - the alternate view being that the sequelae of trauma across generations, plus our increasing distance from the contexts and ways that have nurtured our species along to this point have distorted our ways of understanding self and others. I think your data are clear and compelling.

At about the same time your email came through, I saw this online piece by Franz de Waal, written a couple years ago, that provides some additional context I thought folks might like (I certainly did): https://evolution-institute.org/article/no-room-for-a-gentle-ape/?source=tvol

Peace, Ken C.

.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Darcia Narvaez <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interesting David Brooks Article

Hi, All,

I have strong reactions to Brooks' column in another direction. What Haidt and Brooks miss, like most scholars unaware of our (accurate) evolutionary history, is that tribalism is a pre-human level of being that is more properly characteristic of other animals. Habits of tribalism emerges when undercare and coercion are experienced in childhood (when brain/body systems are completing themselves and designing their parameters based on experience), which are routine in hierarchical societies focused on guarding possessions. Among those who live like our 99% all over the world (nomadic foragers), the evolved nest is provided, shaping human nature properly toward cooperation and openness (see https://www3.nd.edu/~dnarvaez/EDST.htm). There, most groups consist of non-kin and interdependence across groups is the norm, not an us-against-them tribalism (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6022/1286.full.html).

Critical to good development among social mammals is the shaping of the social engagement system, part of the vagus nerve and polyvagal system (Stephen Porges: http://stephenporges.com/). Without appropriate care in early life, this system is underdeveloped and the individual relies on more primitive, innate survival systems when threat is perceived (and relationships generally will appear threatening). We think tribalism is normal human nature now because we have for so long undercared for and traumatized young children in civilized nations.

The tribalism argument, like selfish gene theory, is a justification for what we see among humans today, but not representative of what helped our ancestors survive and thrive across generations---interdependent cooperation.

Darcia