Hi Jason,

A few additional predictions:

   - A transcendent formist is likely to be drawn to some sort of trait
   psychology.  Traits (e.g., disagreeableness) are patterns of behavior
   [norms] that demonstrate consistency [similarity] across situations.  I
   mentioned in Sunday's post that transcendent formism is the modal
   metaphysics of the contemporary research psychologist.  This is certainly
   debatable, but I think it helps account for the dominance of the
   Five-Factor Theory in contemporary personality psychology. It also leads to
   a sense that consistent traits are somehow more "real" (or more central to
   who I am) than are more situationally-contingent behaviors.  As McCrae and
   Costa once claimed: "Our traits characterize us; they are our very selves."

   - But I can also imagine a "Freudian formist" or a "narrative psychology
   formist".  Here formism will guide empirical work by shaping what questions
   are asked and how they are answered.   For example, a narrative
   psychologist adopting a formist philosophy of science might assess levels
   of "agency" and "communion" displayed in life stories and examine how these
   motivations are correlated with other personality and contextual variables.

   - As another prediction, I suspect that a mechanist might be attracted
   to a "connectionist" scheme in cognitive psychology (which places a heavy
   weight on the *location* of activity in the neuro-cognitive system.

I hope this make sense!

Coming soon: Contextualism.

~ Steve Q.