Gregg,

First, note that I wrote, "...such skepticism ought to be embraced when moving from the bottom-up in the ToK." I should also add that I'm approaching the "bottom-up" (indeed, in the spirit of Pepper's analysis), in a strictly mechanistic manner with a particular focus on the organism's behavior and the physiological changes that mediate that behavior.

"Behavior" being a functional change in the object / field relation.

-----

Gregg: "The best definition of 'the mind' is to have it refer to the information instantiated within and processed by the nervous system."

--- I suspect psychologists who's own views are grounded in perspectives like "situated cognition", "distributed cognition", and "embodied cognition" might take issue with that. Emoji

Gregg: "But, watch a video like this, and tell me you have absolutely no idea what the monkey is feeling."

--- The more pertinent issue, to me, is how we know what "feeling" is in the first place. And we ultimately know what it is phenomenologically. We experience feelings and have language that is associated with that experience.

Or put another way, an example of human verbal behavior that has become associated with human phenomena.

And insofar that "feelings" constitute (in part) what we call "mind", then it is an example of how (in a manner of speaking) the human mind becomes the standard by why which all other (alleged) non-human minds are "measured".

Hence, an example as to what I was referring to in another thread when I suggested that understanding "mind" is best conceived from the top-down in the ToK.

"Mind" being a functional change in the subject / field relation

~ Jason Bessey