....and for the 'amphibians' article. I am one myself, having been born in
Budapest and brought to the US as a child. I went to public school and
assimilated, but we spoke Hungarian at home and I was exposed to
Austro/Hungarian culture (my grandparents were Viennese immigrants who had
a major influence on my childhood). So I understand what Brooks is talking
about, BUT as he pointed out, we were exposed to the history and principles
of this country in school, which I think is very important. As Santayana
said, "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it". I don't
know how you can have a conversation about race or gender or ______ without
knowing what has transpired in this country socially, politically,
culturally....it's a 'house of cards'. I know this isn't a popular position
(Question Authority!), but it is a must that we teach basics if we are to
make real progress IMO.