Chance, great question, and of course challenging to answer since what I am
talking about is unconventional, but I'll attempt an answer because I think
that it is at the core of 'The Hard Problem'. When we meditate, physiologic
stress is reduced due to decreased catecholamine production, in turn
reducing oxygenation of cells and a sense of being relaxed and more,
depending upon the individual. And some aspects of that can be brought
about through breathing patters and other associations with the physiologic
reduction in stress 'on demand'. Knowing the intermediate physiologic steps
in that process would aid in exploiting it further, particularly since it
is part of the 'fight or flight' mechanism in my reduction of the evolution
of endothermy. In the context of the 'hard' problem, I think that it's the
relationship between the visceral and CNS levels that constitutes the
process of consciousness since they co-evolved. So doing an MRI on someone
exposed to some sensory input, and looking below the neck as well as above
might reveal interrelationships that generate consciousness. I'm thinking
of how when I've eaten a heavy meal before going to sleep, I have the
strangest dreams, which I assume are brought about by the rumblings in my
GI tract.....which is then relevant to Porges's Polyvagal Theory. As an
aside, in trying to write a paper on Consciousness I have been reading the
theory that Hameroff and Penrose have put forth, which is largely based on
the integrative effect of the cytoskeleton on brain function. I like the
idea, but I think they have come up short since all cells have a
cytoskeleton, and since the cytoskeleton determines the state of the cell-
homeostatic, mitotic or meiotic, as the 'consciousness' of the cell, in the
aggregate it is the cross-talk between the visceral and CNS microtubules
that are the determinant of consciousness, not just the brain......I think
of the unicellular organism, which is also conscious since it generates
calcium fluxes in response to food, for example. In that case there is
unequivocal integration of 'body and mind', by definition, and amoebae are
known to habituate, for example. Hope this reply was helpful.

P.S. If we could only parse out the associations that Proust expresses in
his 'Remembrance of Things Past'!