Society for Women in Philosophy, Ireland

In association with (in Parenthesis), University of Durham and University of Liverpool

6th Annual Conference and General Meeting of SWIP-Ireland

17-19 May, 2018

University College Dublin, Ireland

Women in Philosophy: Past, Present and Future

True it is, Spinning with the Fingers is more proper to our Sexe, then studying or writing Poetry, which is the Spinning with the braine: but I having no skill in the Art of the first (and if I had, I had no hopes of gaining so much as to make me a Garment to keep me from the cold) made me delight in the latter – Margaret Cavendish

Though academic philosophy is still a male-dominated discipline, and the canon of philosophy is largely male, the future of philosophy promises to be less so. After years of scholarly neglect, the contribution of a large number of women philosophers across the ages is now being recognised – from medieval mystics to Enlightenment philosophers of science to founding mothers of analytic philosophy and phenomenology. At the same time, broad consensus is afoot that certain disciplinary norms, once-entrenched, no longer serve our discipline and have contributed to the attrition of female talent from philosophy.

This SWIP-Ireland conference, in collaboration with In Parenthesis, showcases work on the broad topic of Women in Philosophy: Past, Present and Future, and includes the following keynote speakers:

  • Eileen Brennan (Dublin City University)
  • Nancy Cartwright (Durham University)
  • Siobhan Chapman (University of Liverpool)
  • Kristin Gjesdal (Temple University)
  • Sally Haslanger (MIT)
  • Sigridur Thorgeirsdottir (University of Iceland)

We invite you to join us for this event. A full programme and registration details can be found at this link.

--
Dr. Clara Fischer
EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow at the UCD Centre for Gender, Feminisms, and Sexualities