I am re-reading the biography of Arkansas senator John L. McClellan.

He led the democratic walkout on the McCarthy hearings during the Red
Scare, and is shown in the clip below defending due process and the rule of
law.  He mentored Jack and Bobby Kennedy, went after organized crime,
brought bridges and electricity to Arkansas, and was known to be a man of
unbendable integrity.

In this clip, he discusses the damage caused by trying people in the court
of public opinion:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DyGH-2D7pyh-2DNg&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=UitLkukLqLHMK2qLJ7WmWPKORP2PxzI0voY4RLr_5l4&s=ujcJu3AScBK5OpHT3a_X9vQtV4ofGYj4FRLSwsloOwk&e=

My memory of him is mixed, for he opposed desegregation.  One of my best
friends is an anti-blackness scholar and teaches debate at Central High
School, famous for the Little Rock Nine that began attendance at the school
under the protection of federal troops.  The story is much more complicated
than you can read about on a blog or a hot-take on wikipedia, and the fact
that I believe it is "complicated" has put me at odds many times with my
friend.  I can discuss this more in person if there is interest.

For me, he is an example of maintaining a cool head during massive civil
and global upheaval, where a balance must be struck between maintaining
order and encouraging progress.

Looking forward to seeing you all later this week,

-Chance