Hi TOK Folks,

  As those of you who were at the TOK Society conference know, a major point of discussion was the relationship between Big TOKs (and the ToK/UTUA Framework specifically) and mental health. And those that follow my work in that area know that I am very big on examining the relationship between trait neuroticism (the tendency to have negative affect in general) and negative reactions to negative feelings. As this blog (among others) notes, I see this as arguably the central key to diagnosable anxiety and depressive disorders. And, of course, the CALM MO psychological mindfulness intervention follows directly from it. That is, if we can create a healthy space for our negative feelings and metabolize them in a way that allows for harmony between head, heart and relationships, then a much more adaptive, functional psychological state will follow.

  Imbedded in this model is prediction that the key to developing GAD, MDD, and related conditions is the interaction between negative temperament and negative beliefs about negative feelings. Well, a major study was just released that confirmed this is exactly what is going on.  See a blog on it here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201804/neuroticism-s-newest-twist-shows-what-s-behind-your-anxiety. So, with this “cutting edge” data set, we can be more convinced that the cause of diagnosable neurotic conditions is indeed negative reactions to negative feelings.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge