Psychologically, the phenomenon is "data" rich and opens up so many
dynamics to be observed and studied.  One reason it is a unique situation
is that JP is a Jungian enamored clinician who is also a devoted trait
researcher.  Already that combination sets him apart in the psychological
community (In *my experience*, most psychologists do not sort into
competence in *both* analytic thinking and traditional research
methodology).

But of course I like that because I am an analytic thinker who was also
drawn to the 5 factor model.  The NEO-PI seems to be a gold-standard of
psychological trait research.  The issues arise when we start calling the 5
factor model a personality inventory rather than a trait inventory.  Gregg
articulates this in terms of the very real issue of confusing aggregate
level analysis with individual analysis.

So Peterson "gets it" in that he uses the analytic perspective for the
tools needed to delve into the individual self, and the five-factor model
for analysis of the aggregate trait level that the 5 traits reveal
(OCEAN).

So what remains are Peterson's own blindspots and less developed areas of
self.  You can take a rough cut at it by observing that Peterson developed
as a working-class white Canadian.  He thus appears to have insensitivities
(relative to the humanities, not the lay population) to colonial dynamics
along those lines, and those insensitivities draw to him a shadow audience
of individuals that are conservative, ignorant, or regressive about race
dynamics.  I think that the damage he will create, for whatever proportion
of good, will revolve around his emboldening of race dismissal amongst
groups and people who urgently should be receive education on the topic.

I *do not* perceive Peterson as problematic in regards to gender.  Most of
what Jordan Peterson says about gender dynamics is a *toned down* version
of what I learned in undergraduate from *women* psychology professors.

I do understand the Peterson hate, though, as I had similar initial
reactions to him.  When his first video blipped onto my radar, I thought
"A white conservative just got flushed out like quarry to be taken down."
And the same primate part of me that anticipates a punch-drunk and wobbly
fighter's knock-out in a boxing match was the same part of me that watched
for Peterson to be torn apart by rational *and irrational *mobs of social
justice warriors that smelled blood in the water and easy prey.  But it
never happened.  He defeated every wave that came his way, and he's been
doing it *every day *for over a year.

Also, to dismiss Peterson outright is to deny some of the *very* most
powerful tools that emerged out of the field of psychology.  If the "left"
rejects the baby with the Peterson bath-water, the right will continue to
weaponize psychological insights and use them to manipulate a confused,
agitated, and increasingly fragile populace.  There will be an increasing
inability for individuals to determine what is bread and circus versus a
substantive area to direct healing intellect and effort.

Finally, I am privately aware of when the left uses psychological tools as
manipulations.  My friends in politics call it "fighting dirty."  The ends,
they believe, will justify the means.  I'm not so sure, especially when the
left increasingly suggests a world where we are encountered only through
our thin-sliced demographics.  The point, in theory, was that we would
reclaim our histories in order that we could eventually transcend them.  If
we get stuck in the trenches of the identities carved out by marketing
teams, we will have at least shifted culture wars to a digital realm,

but of course the fear is that we are on borrowed time to resolve the
"brown-eye/blue-eye," "they/them" conundrum, because the ability to
manifest global weaponry is exponential.

So, in summary, the left will have to destroy itself in order to wage war
on Peterson, and Peterson is entirely willing to sacrifice his life for his
principles.  So better, I think, to cordon off the weak areas of his
perspective and appreciate the benefits of what he is offering rather than
alienate his faction as we plunge deeper into the battle for social memory
(i.e., the culture wars).

-Chance