I agree with you here, Jason. Kępiński's “Information Metabolism” is really fascinating and there is much overlap. He, like so many folks, sees the twin pillars of energy and information as central and offers excellent analyses on how to think about them. I wonder what Peterson might think of that 😊.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of nysa71
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Kępiński's "Information Metabolism", BIT, and the ToK

Hello ToKers,

There's a concept called, "Information Metabolism", developed by Polish psychiatrist and philosopher, Antoni Kępiński (November 16, 1918 - June 8, 1972).

I find a lot of congruence with Kępiński's idea and the ToK in general and BIT specifically. Perhaps you all will, as well. I'll put a link to a brief summary below, (which I believe is a partial copy of a journal article):

Examples include:

~ "
The term “energetic-informational metabolism” was used by Kępiński to denote life, or more specifically, two processes without which life would not be possible. In the initial phases of phylogenetic development, energy metabolism dominates, but it always coexists with information metabolism, e.g., processing of information concerning sources of nourishment."

~ "Information metabolism occurs within a defined space and time. It has a control center (CC)—i.e., ego or the “I”—and functional structures enabling reception, processing, and assimilation of information, as well as regulation of the organisms‘s own activities." (This sounds quite similar to Gregg's conceptualization of the ego being an "organ" of justification.)

~ "Information metabolism is determined by the phylogenetic and ontogenetic past of organism" (This is precisely on of the principles of BIT)

Kępiński's "System of Values" involved in decision-making are biological, emotional attitude, and socio-cultural, which correspond quite nicely with the Life, Mind, and Culture dimensions of the ToK. The "energy metabolism" certainly corresponds with the first dimension of the ToK.

I'm sure there are many more similarities between Kępiński's thought and Gregg's, as well.

Link for brief description of Information Metabolism:
Information Metabolism - Wikisocion

Have a good one,
Jason Bessey

Text Box: