Thanks, Jason.

Jordan Peterson is a “shiny object” for the academic/identity politic left. He challenges some of their sacred cows, and thus a consequence is that he becomes a hero of the alt right. And that is a reason to be concerned, as anything that energizes the alt right should be concerning.

However, it is crucial to recognize that this framing this is largely function of political polarization rather than what he is actually preaching. I don’t think that Peterson is really any closer to the “real” alt right (i.e., White male supremacy sympathizers) than I am. However, he does believe in the animus and anima archetypes. And he believes that the mythologies of our past were central to human psychology and how we function in the world (i.e., they revealed deep things about our deep natures).

And, he believes that if we are to be healthy in our living, we must realign our psychologies with archetypal mythologies, at least in some way. (Sound somewhat familiar 😊? He is very Jungian). And he thinks that the postmodern view has completely unmoored us in our quest for meaning making.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of nysa71
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Jordan Peterson (again)

Gregg,

I want to emphasize the word "suspected". I'm not saying anything with a tremendous amount of certainty. I haven't looked too deeply into Peterson's thought. He doesn't really seem that interesting. But I keep hearing his name pop up from time-to-time, and (with the exception of this list serve), it's never positive.

He seems too obsessed with the Soviet Union and a "Red Scare" mentality. He appears to hold great appeal to the alt-right. I get the impression he wants to go back to the "good ol' days" of the 1950s. And dresses it all up in a scholarly-sounding manner that makes him appear to be legitimate and hence appealing (to some).

The link to that series of Tweets that Steve provided just seems to confirm what I've **suspected** about Peterson from what little I've heard of him.

~ Jason