Chance and Joe,

  Thanks to your both for your wonderfully deep and rich articulations of the JP phenomenon and related dynamics. It makes me wonder if we might be able to develop a set of shared principles for approaching this complex issue.

Here are some emerging themes that I see:

There is a very important distinction between the individual and the aggregate.

A similar and related or parallel distinction exists between the level of human psychology and social structures. Considerations of both individual/self and societal levels of analysis must be included in any grand narrative.

A shared narrative is built on dialogue, discourse, and dialectical processes.

There is an unhealthy degree of political polarization that results in a “team mentality,” whereby the goal is more about demonstrating the fallacies/weaknesses/absurdities of the other team than attempting to find the best solution.

There clearly have been massively problematic social structures that have channeled power toward the social identity categories of Whiteness, Maleness, Heteronormativity, and Christianity. There has been a general normative understanding of reasonable people of goodwill (RPofGW) growing since the 1960s that this is unjust and should be undone.

Currently, differential outcomes in power, prestige, and status associated with these identity categories are complicated and multifactorial. And solutions about what to do about these differential outcomes are undoubtedly complicated.

The JP phenomena can be understood as a arising from political polarization, coupled with the strong, left leaning tilt in universities, which is where the energy for it was initially drawn. In essence, JP drove his Jungian-Christian-male sword into the stone, said “enough” and made dramatic claims about the totalitarian underbelly of the hyper-progressive left’s identity politics.

This has created a massive tension across justification, investment, and influence lines.

What it reveals, from my vantage point is the vacuum of a clear, center-left navigating narrative.

I believe that the wake of the JP phenomena creates a potential “draft” that can result in the emergence of a healthier, coherent narrative.