From: tree of knowledge system discussion [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx
Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2018 11:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: feedback on chapter

Thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback on the chapter.

Corinne, I think this is the one of the central issue's the academy is facing--thanks so much for continuing the dialogue.

Although the issues are complicated, I think what needs to happen is a combination of the following to have a productive frame for the advancing the ball on these issues. For me, IN THE CONTEXT OF THE UNIVERSITY SETTING, which is, of course, very different than other contexts, the points I tend to focus on are:

1. First, we need considerations of the principles and goals of what we are trying to move toward. This is how I heard the point that John Torday raised. What, at the level of society and the individual are we trying to achieve? I, for one, do not think our primary goal should be retribution and guilt for past sins. Rather, I advocate for framing the issues in terms of a vision for the kind of society we would like to live in and ways to move toward that society, and what we can each do to contribute to that. I make the point that the CI program I work in feels like a good example of a microcosm of society that has done a nice job creating what feels like a just community on the issues of social identity categories. If we share a vision and values, then we can work toward moving toward that. I hope for a society that maximizes the dignity and well-being of all individuals from the rainbow of human diversity, and does so with fairness and integrity (of course there is debate about the details, but that is the vision).

2. The second point I keep in mind is the point that Jordan Peterson makes in the Munk Debates<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_AJ2tfLgk>, which can be framed in the form of a question: Where are the limits of the left/identity politics argument? Within the academy, I believe there is too much virtue signaling and too much anxiety that critical analyses of progressive claims stems from racist or sexist motives. For example, consider that, in the Munk debates, the African American Preacher Dyson makes the comment that he, by virtue of his skin color, is not welcome at Starbucks. That to me is a deeply problematic claim. He takes one incident and generalizes to an aggregate company or group with no data (I am not aware of any analyses that suggests that Starbucks has any anti-Black tendencies relative to the country—indeed, I would posit as a company/patrons/employees it leans or maybe even is highly progressive). Immediately, in my saying this, there are lots of anxieties that are raised. Can I, as a white man, possibly empathize with the Black experience? How dare I question that? And that response is the foundational issue that we need to dialogue about head on. If one cannot critically examine claims and limits, and arguments are essentially given a free pass on the basis of the messenger's skin color, we are in deep trouble.

Of course, now that we live in Trump's America, everything is super complicated. Take, for example, this wonderful article on Trump by Charles Blow<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/opinion/trump-central-park-five.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region>. The desire to push back against what Trump represents is so obviously justified by many traditionally underprivilege groups that my attending to progressive excesses can seem deeply problematic and insensitive in the current context. My reply to this concern is that it is, in no small part because we in the academy have not demonstrated that we know how to adaptively limit the progressive/identity politic excesses that Trump was elected.

It is crucial to keep in mind that the social-justification system changes moving in a progressive direction have been some of the most remarkable transitions of socio-cultural value change (without war) in documented history (see Shelby Steele’s analyses on this issue, especially White Guilt<https://www.law.uc.edu/sites/default/files/fcj1.1.steele%20reviewed%20by%20ryan.pdf>). Consider, for example, that when Obama is elected in 2008, he did not believe in gay marriage. Today, only 10 years later, not believing in gay marriage is seen as really unusual and highly socially conservative, especially in the academy. The point is that the progressive mindset actually has been enormously powerful and successful. So it has had huge impacts and strong momentum. It is thus VERY reasonable and appropriate for people to start asking, “Ok, where does this end? Do we actually remove James Madison’s legacy because he was a slaveholder? If that is where we go, then was/is good about our society?” As the “groupthink” episode demonstrated, we, the academy, have NOT figured out where the limits of this movement takes us. Indeed, there is a virtuous/righteous anti-racist/anti-sexist signaling that often prevents very much needed critical analyses of progressive/identity political claims. That is why I write a lot about this issue.

Now, I have had a number of my CI doc students say, “Gregg, you always seems to be taking the critical stance against social justice movements. Don’t you support social justice?” My answer is, “Of course, I support social justice. Look at my life. Look at who I have devoted my services to. I have never taken a dime for my therapy because I support the underprivileged. It is because I value social justice that I am passionate about arguing that the movement cannot allow itself to go off the rails into groupthink/righteous excesses. If it does this, the backlash will be significant. Indeed, to me, Trump is our President in no small part because the progressive momentum was both very powerful and there were not clear limits or guiding principles, or shared end goal in sight. Rather a very clear pattern was simply an acceleration of anti-White Male Heteronormative Patriarchy sentiment. But that is not a shared, value-based vision. And, for low class heterosexual White males, it is a particular affront and fosters resentment and resistance, with good justification.

Bottom line, Corinne, is that moral issues like race and gender justice equity are very emotional and very powerful. It is BECAUSE that is the case that we need some controlled, rational, critical thinking about these issues, especially in settings like the university. Adaptive, critical analyses are the ANTI-THESIS of being racist or sexist, IMO.