Thanks for sharing Gregg. It enjoyed looking this over.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 9:53 AM Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi List,

The topic for today’s personality lecture is “biological approaches.” I focus mostly on evolutionary psychology, hit some on genetics and offer some reflections on the brain/neuroscience v. mind/psychology relation. For the final section, we read the attached American Psychologist article, which cautions against too much reliance on neuroscience. In re-reading it for the class, I am struck by how blatantly confused it is relative the Periodic Table of Behavior (Joe M. and I have a paper under review on this if anyone would like to see it), so I thought I would share. It offers a “weak tea” argument for emergence (i.e., against eliminative reductionism) and for the psychological level of analysis, although they do not explain at all what they mean by this.

Just food for thought on Friday 😊.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge