Dear TOKers, I for one greatly appreciate the effort to try and clarifyedify/rectify/mollify/____ify what's going on in contemporary society. The logical go-to folks are psychologists, but I would like to submit that until we drill down to 'what 'really' makes us tick' at its fundament we will continue to go through cycles of confusion, reconciliation and confusion, as we have since the dawn of Man. We experienced the momentum from realizing that the Sun is the center of the Solar System, giving rise to the Enlightenment; we need a reboot, in my opinion caused by displacing ourselves from the center of the biosphere and contemplating how that looks in order to advance.   I know that my science is a bit hard to digest, but I have found a path through the forest to the trees after wandering around for all these many years working in my laboratory. The confluence of biology and (Quantum) physics gives me pause to think that maybe we can understand where we came from so we can make educated guesses as to where we might go. I know this sounds hubristic, but we must, IMHO, continue to ask 'how and why' we exist if we are to a) survive, and b) thrive in this post-industrial age, particularly given that so many of us will be without something to do, literally, once the robots take over the workaday world, as well as our need to think (AI). If we don't make the effort to understand the ontology and epistemology of our lives we will fail to meet our evolutionary obligation to perpetuate our large brains. Delegating this responsibility to technology instead of biology is expedient, but will derail us from our genetic/epigenetic destiny. So I encourage 'going big or going home' as the mission of the TOK. John T